So MANY thoughts today. Will try to keep it brief, but ....warning...brief - not my strong point.
First, I want to say, I realize I repeat things on this blog, often. I am not totally crazy yet, I repeat because there may be a new person reading this blog for the first time. So if you read this blog often, I'm sorry for the repeats.
Yeah, you got it, I'm about to repeat something.
Heat has a huge negative affect on me. (weekly post, sorry)The data!
Roots & Shoots 5k last Sat.- I ran the 5k - the temp was warm, the course was easy rolling hills. 23:25 MHR 166 - 90% (7:39, 7:39, 7:49, :25)
Gimme Shelter 5k today (1 week later) - the temp was cooler and less humidity - more challenging course,( in my opinion) 23:06 - MHR - 163 - 88% (7:29, 7:29, 7:34, :32)
So even with the course being a little more difficult, this week, with the slightly cooler temps., I was able to run a much better race.
Note: (there was one other subtle difference - prior to the Roots and Shoots 5k I had 40 miles , because I'm tapering a little for the Snickers marathon, prior to the Gimme Shelter race, I had 30 miles. I'm sure the 10 mile difference helped today, but overall, I believe, the difference in the heat and humidity was the biggest reason for the improvement)
* it was interesting to me that miles 1 and 2 in each race, were the same.
Now for the BEST part.The 23:06 5k time from the Gimme Shelter race, tied my 2008 5k PR (personal record). Yes, it's been a LONG time since I ran a PR in the 5k. If only I could focus on the 5k, I KNOW I can go sub 23 (marathons "suck me in" and take my focus away from the 5k training).
Had I realized I was so close, I KNOW I could have run 23:05, ha! I wasn't expecting to run that much faster than last week. But I am happy to be back to - "near 5K PR land."
What does it mean? I use the 5ks as quality workouts, but I also use the 5ks to judge my level of fitness for my upcoming marathons. So with the results from today, and Snickers being 1 week away, I am VERY happy with it. I'm peaking at the RIGHT time. Now just need some good racing weather in Albany, GA next Sat.
Speaking of Albany and the Snickers marathon,
I'm asking everyone to "Pick a Mile" again.A few of you will remember, I did this prior to the St. George marathon 2009. This was my BIG race, my BIG BQ attempt, attempt number 15 - ha ha (seriously - it took me 15 marathons to BQ). So prior to SGM, I asked bloggers, friends, family, etc. to pick a mile from miles 18-25. These are the TOUGH miles for me. So I asked people to pick a mile, and to think of me on race day , and to send good thoughts my way. Apparently it worked because I did, in fact, BQ on that day.
So, I'm seriously feeling like I CAN PR in this race, (if the stars, moon, etc. are in alignment) but I'm asking for assistance again.
******Please pick a mile, any mile 18 - 25. These are the tough ones, and I need your help. If you use mantras, please share one with me, if not, any encouraging words will do. ******
Snickers 26.2 is SATURDAY March 5th 7:00 am EST
Other random thoughts from today:
* after a WISE blogger's recommendation, I bought some new running shorts. I ran the 5k in them, so they are now lucky shorts. I will run a few more runs in them, but so far - I have a new LOVE! They are so comfy! I may live the rest of the summer in them. I will do the test runs, and then do a follow-up report with the brand....hint be saving your pennies.
* the much mentioned "race weight" - I managed to drop the Christmas weight and then I was "stuck", with 3 lbs to go. I'm ok with it, in fact, I've been lifting a fair amount of weights, so it's ok, but the thought DEFINITELY entered my mind today...."if I had lost the last 3 lbs., to get to MY preferred race weight, I WOULD have a new PR in the 5k instead of a tie. :) :)
* I have poor man's TV and I forgot to stop and pick up movies after the 5k today. Do any of you know exactly HOW VERY SAD POOR MAN's TV is on the weekends?
What I'm doing right?
* I replenished the veggies and fruit today. Will have a very healthy final week before the race next Sat.
* I've been MUCH better about lifting weights this year - yay!
* still drinking at least 64 ounces of water each day, and limiting the diet drinks to 1 per day, (except the 1 day, I had 2 - it was a race day - I splurged)