Thursday, May 3, 2012

How Cool is this?

Blue Ridge 26.2  -  2nd masters award
This little gem arrived by mail today, my new favorite.  You can read about the awards being produced by local (Roanoke) high school students here.   I love that it's a  unique award, has local meaning, and created locally.  so cool, so awesome!    Each time I think of this marathon and trip to VA my heart is filled with happy memories.  The marathon experience was perfect,  and the time with my Mom (82) and sister was great.    It's great to have the keepsake to take me back to that place in time.    I guess you've figured out by now I loved this marathon.  If you're looking for a challenge, like a small marathon or half, like a scenic course - you must check this marathon out .

You may have also noticed the awesome live with passion card in the background.  This is a personal creation from a friend, just after she completed her first marathon.  You can check out her blog here.http://run4it-headricks.blogspot.com/     

To the right of the Blue Ridge award is another locally handmade award.  This is from one of our local races that has become a tradition for New Year's.  Donna makes the awards each year and they are super cool.  Her blog

as for me, and the running break, the "passion" grows each day.  1 wk and 2 days and I'll be back at it.  I love how the short breaks fill my heart and mind with PASSION to train.  I've been walking and biking and I enjoy being able to focus on something different, but in some ways, I fill like a caged animal and can't wait to be set free in exactly 9 days.   I'm always so very thankful for my passion and desire to run and train.  I'm thankful that I can take a break, and let the passion build and build.   I'm thankful that my passion never seems to fade. 

We've started a new challenge for May.  It's not too late to join in.  This month -  SQUATS.  As usual, this is a "make your own rules" challenge,  just make it personally challenging for you.  It can be X number of reps per day, or it can be a X amount of time, and do as many reps as possible within that time.   I'm doing a rotation each day of 1 day being 1 minute of regular squats, and the next day 1 minute of jump squats.  Each week I will add 30 seconds and continue through the end of May.  

2012 monthly challenges:
Burpee Feb.
Plank March
Mountain Climber April
Squats May

these challenges are quick, only 1-3 or 4 minutes per day, but I truly believed they helped me tremendously on the challenging Blue Ridge course.  give it a try, join us.  the hardest part of the challenge is remembering to do it each day.  (yes, a couple of times,  I have completely forgotten to do them - I did 2 Xs the challenge on the following day)

I'm also eating an apple a day in 2012.  #appleaday2012  I've already consumed 124 apples - the year is flying by.....

I wanted to give Steve, over at Happy Trails, a shout out of.....  
GOOD LUCK  Sat!  
Happy Running my friend!


11 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Sniff! you make me so proud! Congrats again on such a stellar performance! I love that the award is unique and fabulously handcrafted and special.
I was just thinking the other day about what makes certain races stand out. BRM definitely sounds like one of them.
Enjoy the rest of your 'rest'!

David H. said...

The BRM awards are very cool -- it's a great tie to Roanoke's roots in the railroad industry. I'm glad they mailed it to you!

Lisa said...

Very cool award!

HappyTrails said...

Very neat trophy! Congratulations!
Love the "Live with passion" - thanks for the reminder. :-) Like the exercise of the month - will you continue with your Mountain Climbers and previous months of exercises? Thanks for the well wishes for Steve-I am excited for him!

Johann said...

That is very cool indeed! Awards like that is rare and special.

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

@HappyTrails - I'm not keeping up with the previous months on a daily basis. These are just short little mini workouts in addition to my typical daily stuff, but I've found them very beneficial.

Lindsay said...

What a cool award! I love when they're unique and something locally made. I also like the monthly challenges for the year! I wish I knew of them back in Jan but I guess I could start late :)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Congrats on being the 2nd Masters! Unique awards are the best! Thx for the sock suggestion on my blog! I came across this post, http://bit.ly/wUk2hG, in which an ultrarunner mentions that she wore only one pair of DryMax Maximum Protection socks at Badwater and didn't get any blisters!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Tina - if you want to try the DryMax socks, I can send you a pair. Just send me your shoe size and your mailing address and I will put a pair in the mail to you. (the maximum protection socks are more expensive, and I haven't found them necessary, for myself, but everyone likes something different, so.....)

Petraruns said...

What a great award - you MUST be so proud!

RunToTheFinish said...

let's see first totally love the hand crafted one of a kind awards that is so neat!!

second i like the quick challenges! i may try those next time around instead of the bigger one's like oh say going vegan :)