Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas party, new gadget, back on track!


 Yesterday, Chad & I went to AL for our annual family Christmas party.  Mom and Linde are so awesome with all of the Christmas cheer.  The house is always decorated from front to back and it's always beautiful.  It's always great to see the family - something we do not do enough of - we all have good intentions, but seem to get lost in our daily routines.  The food - to die for!  In fact, as I had my 2nd piece of chocolate torte today, I said to Chad "I think I died and went to heaven."  Thanks to the girls for another great party.

So, I have blogged a few times about my headphones and how I still use them because I like the radio.  WELL, no one told me that the nano now comes with FM.  I was recently shopping on a site to use some of my "points" which were about to expire.  I came across the Nano and started reading about it.  I have the small shuffle which I prefer for running, but have never purchased any of the larger Ipods.  In fact, for years, I would not purchase the shuffle because I was waiting for Apple to add the FM.  I finally caved-in a couple of years ago and purchase the shuffle and have enjoyed it, but still use my headphones when wanting to hear the FM stations.  Sometimes on training runs I even wear both, headphone and shuffle.  So as I was reading about the Nano 5th generation, I came across the FM radio feature - screaming with excitement - but thought to myself , the FM probably doesn't work that well, but decided to give the new Nano a try.  It came in this week and after my Sat morning run with some friends was canceled due to rain, I had time to upload my tunes and get ready to use the Nano.  I opted for the treadmill.  With the new gadget the 7 mile run went by quickly.  The FM stations worked well inside the house and on the treadmill.  Awesome!  Now I have to go and purchase all the accessories that i will need.  Arm band, Apple Care, a car charger would be nice.  FM and my tunes all on one gadget.  Woo hoo!  2010 is going to be fabulous!

So this week, I did stick with my plan to run easy 6 milers, well almost.  I did run 7 on Wed. and Sat., but both days were easy running.  This week - Monday - 6 , Wed. - 7 with The Running Artist (follow her as she prepares for the Mardi Gras marathon, her 1st marathon) , Sat.- 7 on the treadmill with Nano5, and this morning a 4 miler in my home town, Wilmer, AL.  On the Sat. and Sun runs, I had the urge to pick up the pace. On Sat., almost had my hand on the button to go faster, and talked myself into taking it easy, finishing the week easy, and sticking with this week's plan.  All runs this week were run with NO pain in the hip.  I am looking forward to adding some intensity back to my running this week.  Two weeks with no quality runs - yikes - feeling like I am losing fitness fast.  Feeling like a slacker, but know it was important to let the hip heal.  Miss the "rush" of the hard runs, but very thankful  I have been able to continue running and did not need to do total rest.  Last week 14.5 miles running, this week 24 miles and feeling fine. 
Currently working out the details to meet the way to boston to walk a few miles this evening.  Need to burn some extra calories this evening after all of the holiday goodies.  So Yummy!  So caloric!

11 comments:

HappyTrails said...

Mmmmm, I love chocolate torte - why stop at two pieces? Give a fork and the whole cake!!!:-)
Hooray for no hip pain! No worries about losing fitness, though, in spite of a few down weeks. A little bit of rest for the mind and body and you will probably be literally flying!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

That is great! 2 weeks with no pain! I am sure your body is loving the rest.

We all indulge a little this time of year. In fact, there are brownies talking to me right now. I think I am going to have to put a lid on them or get a plate. ;-)

Robbie said...

Sounds like you're on the road to recovery. Way to go!! I'm fighting the sweets myself...my TOTAL weakness! Forget food, just give me something sweet, ha! Be careful this week picking it up (intense-wise).

Pining for Pinterest said...

Great job on the miles! I think it is crazy how long it takes to build up the miles and how quick it will take to lose them! Have a great week :-)

Lindsay said...

glad you found a new music-player that meets all your needs! i don't run with music personally, but i can't imagine running with multiple gadgets :)

Unknown said...

I love running with music, I'm so happy for you and your new toy! Christmas is for everyone...not just kids! I love this time too, being with family and just making the time to be together. I'm happy all is well with running...my hip is still tender tonight but I'm going to stretch a bit. Are you still stretching yours?

Jennifer said...

Well now you have to log more miles with all the good food in your system! Maybe we should have gone more on Wednesday! Glad you got the musuic thing worked out, I know how important it is. Cheers!

Tri-James said...

The rain was fierce on Saturday - Sunday was much better.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You say 63 is your high for weekly mileage, too? What a coincidence! I think I'll add 2 more and stop there for this training cycle. Not that I'm trying to beat you! ; ) It just sounds like a nice number to stop at!

Glad you're able to run and listen to the radio, too, now!

Tara said...

I like your new toy; I'm so glad that you discovered it! I run with an Ipod too. I think it helps to pass away the miles.

I'm envious of the chocolate torte cake. That sounds yummy! I agree...we don't spend enough time with family. That is something that we all need to work on!

Nice job on your runs!

RunToTheFinish said...

Hey any run is a good run! I think it's fine to not have any super speed work or what not for a week, you won't lose fitness that fast