Friday, December 4, 2009

The Debate Begins!

So the GREAT news I reported on Monday turned out to be not as GREAT as I thought.   After racing on Sat. I did not run again until Wed.  I went for a 4 mile run.  I did not feel anything in my hip until mile 2.  At that point, I could feel something in my hip.  I wouldn't say it was hurting, but just more like a dull hint of aggravation.  I finished the 4 miles and headed for the ice bath.  Decided to take a break again on Thur.  So Thurs. am I went to yoga, and walked 5 miles with a friend.  No pain at all doing yoga or the walk.  Today, I ran 5 miles.  Today, nothing until around 3 miles and then the dual awareness again. 

So I am 1 week out from the Huntsville marathon and 4+ months away from Boston.  I really want to run Huntsville.  I am sure it would be smart to bow out, and use the extra time to be sure to let the hip recover. 

This is my first injury, or near injury.  I HATE it!  It makes me feel OLD.  It also makes me wonder if this will be the beginning of recurring injuries that so many runners deal with.  I have been so fortunate to run injury free for years.  Bummed in MS, BUT it's snowing in South Mississippi  (a rare occasion).

I will make the final decision around the middle of next week.  I know the smart answer, but we will see if I am smart, or determined to run it.  ????????

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm...you didn't really ask for advice so I'll just hope and pray you make the right decision for yourself and your body, whatever that is! Ick, these little things can be the worst! Did you try rolling your hips and glutes over a foam roller? Deep tissue massage? Try it all girl and who knows, maybe you'll run this next week and it will be as good as new! That's what I'll be hoping!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Pain is no fun! Frustrating! I hope it works itself out. I know you'll do the right thing and waiting a few days to decide is a good idea.

Cate said...

Hip pain is so frustrating (and it doesn't mean you're old! I had a hip stress fracture at 15!) I hope that whatever you decide to do works out well for you, and I'm sending lots of no-injury vibes your way!

Jill said...

I got your email and will update youw With lengthy Boston details here soon....but wanted to say first I'm sorry about the hip. I'd try to see if you can get into a sport massage therapist quick and see if they can't work their magic...I had to do that before my last marathon on my calf and all was okay. Or a physical therapist would probably be a better antidote. I've had that same annoying hip thing and it never materialized into anything major but I also never ran a full marathon with it either. I don't really think running on it would cause any serious damage and I also firmly believe that the stress, whether we actually "feel" stress or not, of pre race marathon is very real and whatever is just simply annoying at the time is suddenly exacerbated 10 times. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be more. How's that for all over the map advice? I'm truly sorry and sending thoughts and magic healing powers your way!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I will pray you are given a clear direction that you should go. Being driven to run often muddys our judgment. You know your body best. Good Luck.

Jennifer said...

You looked great yesterday when I saw you but I could see the frustration on your face. Since injuries are fresh on my mind all I can say is, listen to your body! Of course I know you will you are one of the smartest runners I know. Good luck!

Dana said...

Good luck with your upcoming races! I have problems with my shins and its hard to make those kind of 'pain now or pain later' decisions. You'll make the right choice for you.

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

All advice, tips, strategies, opinions are always welcome.
Today,(Sat) I celebrated the snow with a 5.5 mile run with Audrey. It was a great run. Felt the hip at 4 miles today. I am gaining a mile each day before the dull pain starts. (Wed @ 2, Fri @ 3, Sat. @ 4). Smart Ginny is leaning against running the race. Still waiting to see if crazy Ginny shows up and takes over the final decision. To be continued....
Jennifer - the ceramics were beautiful. We love the necklace and the mug. Very talented!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Dana - I tried to post on your blog and it wouldn't let me. I even went back and it wouldn't let me.???? Love Pepe (cat lovers over here for sure) Also, love the blog layout and the pics. Nice!

Darrell said...

Oh no! I have to agree with Meg on trying the rolling. Hip pain, at least mine, is connected to the ITB issues, so the foam roller seems to help.

Jill said...

Hey....I lived in Madison, outside of Huntsville. I LOVED Mobile and ran the Azalea Trail 10K a couple years. Very pretty town! I'd love to go back and do that race again someday. How is your hip today?

Tim F said...

I'm sorry about the injury. I'm sure you will make the right decision. Hopefully, your hip will get better soon.

Liz said...

How is the hip? Thanks for stopping by my blog...