Saturday, January 23, 2010

Baby Steps and friends


I started back on Jan. 1st with a 1 mile run.  I am trying to be extra cautious with my running.  Today I ran an 8 mile group run with some friends at Canebrake.  Bummed now that I didn't take a picture.  Canebrake is a subdivision around a lake.  It has rolling hills so it is good for training.  6 runners = good times around the lake.  2 of the runners are signed up for the Mardi Gras marathon (thewaytoboston.)  I hope to be able to run something at Mardi Gras, even if it's a few miles with friends.    It's always a fun race and many runners from our area usually show up for the half or full.  Today, the run was very successful.  I ran the 8 miles at 9:28 avg pace and no problems with the hip.  Friends - what can I say, this is a great group of runners.  One of the runners in the group is a physical therapist and last week she did several ultra sound treatments on my hip.  I think that really helped to speed the healing in my hip.  Remember that most of my issues in the hip have been, not while running, but while driving or sitting.  This week, after the treatments, it seems that the issue is fading away.  (thanks my PT friend)  Bye Bye, adiós, hasta la vista, hip troubles  - hope I don't see ya again.

So far all of my runs have been "just running" no quality.  I hope to change that this week.  I will add one short quality run this week.  I will do a 1 mile w/u, 1 mile tempo, and 1 mile c/d on Tues.  The rest of the week, I will continue with what I have been doing in the past few weeks.  I will see how things go after the tempo, but I am hoping to do a 10 miler next weekend. 

Starting to get very excited, but trying to remain extra cautious.  So ready to train hard, but know I still have to wait this out a few more weeks for sure.  86 days to Boston - plenty of time to get ready, REALLY!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I think a few of us are getting off to a cautious Boston start with training but that is totally OK! It really is enough time! Thanks for the encouragement on my blog, I SO appreciate it!!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I'm so glad your hip is doing better! Looks like we'll be training together, sort of, with our marathons only a week apart!

Jill said...

I've been thinking about you and wondering how it's been going. Happy to hear that the pain gone and you're steadily back to training. You do hae plenty of time for Boston prep, no worries. Happy weekend!!

Erin Conley said...

I'm glad to hear about the improvements in your hip! I know this may have come up in a previous blog or comment...but have you/do you see a chiropractor? When I've had issues with my hip, a good "straightening out" at the chiropractor always helps. Just an idea! I am so glad you are doing better!

HappyTrails said...

Glad you are back! Remember, though, that all runs are "quality", particularly after illness or injury! You will be able to prepare just fine for Boston - plenty of time. Sounds like you had a great run - that area looks beautiful!!!
K

Bethany + Ryan said...

8 miles is great!! Sounds like you're really on the mend! awesome!

Darrell said...

Plenty of time to get ready for Boston. Yeah for the hip being better.

The Mardi Gras Marathon sounds like fun.

Jennifer said...

This is the best news! I know how you love, love, love running!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Great news! Have a wonderful week!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Glad to read you are out there but being careful.

Pently of time before Boston. Pently!

dawn said...

i had a great time saturday with everyone - and i'm encouraged by you feeling better. it was a good morning for both of us as i felt the best i've felt in weeks, and by weeks, i mean, since vegas. glad we went, and i hope we can go again!

Ulyana said...

yes, plenty of time - you are doing great!