Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Prisoners Did It!

So many things to blog about today.  Today I had an 8 mile run, which will be followed by 8 mile runs on Thurs. Fri. and Sat.  I may mix it up and run 2 x's some of those days.  In fact, on Fri. I have hill repeats so I may run 5 miles in the morning - running the repeats, and then an easy 3 mile run in the evening.  But for now, back to today's run.  It wasn't easy.  I averaged 9:53 pace, which is ok for my recovery run, but it wasn't easy for sure.  I started out my run carrying my water.  I didn't want to drive out and drop waters, and I didn't want to wear the fuel belt, so the plan was to carry the water to the 2 mile, drink and drop the water and drink again when I came back, with 2 miles remaining.  So I drop the water, continue running, and about 1/2 mile down the road the prisoners are sitting on the side of the road eating lunch.  This is the "clean up the road prisoner crew."  As I pass, I spoke to the Sheriff and continued on with my run.  Today, is the first warm and humid day of running that I have had this year (67 degrees & 78% humidity, not awful, but need my water).  As I make my way back, I am looking forward to my water stop, but guess what?  Yep, the prisoners are gone and so is my water.  I suppose they finished their lunch, and started picking up the trash again, and they covered the area where I had dropped my water.  Bummer!
I start running again and soon forget about wanting water.  I am heading up hill for 1.5 miles and I have a strong headwind.  My legs feel tired.  At this point, I realize my legs are sore.  Yes, I ran a hard 10 miler on Monday, but it's not that, it's something different.  What is it?  I am shamed to say - it's the pine cones.  On Tues., my exercise for the day consisted of picking up pine cones in the yard for 40 minutes.  This is not my first time to have pine cone fatigued legs.  It's embarrassing each time it happens, but I can not tell a lie, my legs are sore from bending over and picking up pine cones.  It always amazes me that I can run, run, run, but picking up pine cones is brutal.

As I struggle to finish the last half mile, so ready to be done, stomach growling, once again, "Check my Brain" comes on the radio.   This is the 3rd time, when struggling on a run, that this song comes on just as I am begging to be done.  So Meg - this week, I too am reminded of some of those summer/fall runs last year.  Not only because of the muggy weather today, but also because of a song on the radio.  Hadn't heard this song since last fall, but it came back so clear in my mind, the day, the run, the struggle - it's weird.  It makes me laugh because when I am struggling, I do think I need to check my brain....what am I doing out here?  But is passes and I know good runs are in front of me.  Pine cone fatigue does fade, lol:)

One last note - started my run @ 10:40 today and as I still have about 1 mile to go, again, I am HUNGRY.  This was around 12:00 pm.  I think my brain is just trained to be hungry at this time, but Mon., and today I get a weak nauseous feeling for a few minutes.  So my friends at Happy Trails must be right about the low blood sugar @ 12:00pm.  Typically, I use gels on the run, but maybe I need to try to eating something while running for Boston.  Need to practice, not much time to figure it out, but will continue to tinker for the the next few weeks.  Both of these days, I was near finishing my run when this happens, but for Boston, I will have at least, 2.5 hours left to run after 12ish.  It may be just a passing thing each day, and may not be an issue at all, but it bugs me.  To be continued.....

14 comments:

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Bummer about your water!

Great pine cone workout. You should make a video! ;-)

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

We had similar weather today. I hope it won't be that warm in Boston, but I don't know. At least maybe it won't be humid. Too bad about your water and the food situation!

Running and living said...

Bummer about the water! I always have to carry mine:) I think that with tapering and carboloading you are going to be fine at Boston. Last year I had a sandwich at 9:00am, after a large breakfast, and I was fine only with gels (5) during the race.

Pining for Pinterest said...

I always need water! My running partner gets so annoyed with me because I am always thirsty! I hope you have a great night!

Jill said...

I have to hide my water in a bush and cover it with tiny rocks when I do hill repeats in my neighborhood cuz someone has taken my water once or twice and I'm left struggling.

My old trainer use to tell me one of the best things to "eat" during a marathon is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread; has all the right components to get into your system quickly. I did this for awhile, before I started using the Perpetuem, and it worked well for me (tho it was kinda sticky). I cut it into tiny pieces and put it in a baggie and then I'd open the baggie and eat it right out of there w/o touching it as to not get so much sticky stuff all over me. It really fueled me well (and I don't even like PB&J). Just a thought...maybe you have a shirt with a pocket in the back? That's where I always stashed it in a run.

Happy, HAPPY Birthday, Ginny!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Ginny!
I haven't had a problem with not eating during Boston...I do take 4 Hammer Gels through out but I couldn't even eat a big breakfast...too nervous.
That was funny that you were remembering your runs from the fall after hearing a specific song...that happens to me too!
Good luck figuring things out these next few weeks..that's why we are training, right?!

Jennifer said...

Hah ha, great story! Not so good for you but I was laughing pretty good. I know the pine-cone thing... when we run our friend's wood kiln we have to feed it small pieces of wood from the bottom, hours of bending over to stoke the fires, my legs are always wasted the next day(s).
Cheers!

Karen said...

I guess pine cone pickup involves A LOT of squats... Ouch! On the bright side, we know the prisoners are thorough on their trash pick up, right? Good for you for moving on with or without water. I think that might have mentally done me in.

Adam Culp (Crazy Floridian) said...

Who do those prisoners think they are stealing...Oh, wait. That may be why they are there in the first place. (At least they are keeping things picked up.)

I use Perpetuem on long runs and have not had the problem with getting hungry. Gels were simply not enough. I also found that bran muffins work, as long as there are no raisins or nuts.

Isn't it funny how unusual things like picking up pine cones can use muscles we forgot about?

misszippy said...

Funny story about the water! Boston is tricky w/ that later start...keep practicing for it.

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas. I may give the sandwich or the perpetuem a try. I was not familiar with it so I am researching it now. I did try some "overnight oatmeal" and added some peanut butter to it and that seemed to help today. Have 20 on Monday so it will be a good test. Will start @ 10:30 and see what happens.

Scott McMurtrey said...

Fueling has been one of the most difficult things for me to figure out. I still haven't quite figured it out.

Checking your brain every now and then isn't such a bad idea. :)

Psyche said...

New reader here! I really like your blog, especially since we are about the same age with about the same goals:). Your h20 incident reminds me of a recent 18 miler where I spent forever in the car dropping off Accelerade at various points of the run- only to discover the volunteer trash collectors had taken it!

I will be following your Boston journey for sure. Good luck!

Psyche said...

Hmmm...You have me really looking at St. George if I don't BQ soon! Thanks!!