Monday, June 7, 2010

This is my life today!

Warning - this is VERY SAD!

As of May 28th my husband no longer has a job.  In 1998, he started charter fishing in South Louisiana- (www.dufrenesguidesevice.com) - taking people fishing for speckled trout and redfish.  We are both self-employed and we love our way of life.   In a very short period of time everything has changed, and currently we do not know what the road ahead has in store for us.  I have faith that things will work out, and in the mean time, as usual, my running becomes even more important to me.


Currently we are looking into the possibility of going to work for BP.  As we investigate we are worried about health issues, and the possibility of ruining our boat.  On the other hand, we need money to survive, and good paying jobs are NOT easy to find.    When one door closes....another one opens. 

We pray families of the 11 people who died in the initial blast on the rig and realize that yes, we are entering a very scary time, and what we had in the Gulf may never be again, but we have our lives, and our family, and that is the most important thing.

Running - today I start my 4th week of running.  I am feeling good, loving it, and starting to add a few quality runs, but mostly - just running.  As I go through this current hurdle in our lives, my goal will be to run and keep the endorphins revving.  That's it!

week 1 - walk 9 miles and run - 14 miles
week 2 - walk 6 miles and run - 17 miles
week 3 - walk 6 miles and run - 22.5 miles

I am confident that my next post will not be so depressing.  

20 comments:

Jill said...

Oh, Ginny, I am soooo very sorry for your husband and your family! I've been in that situation (am in that situation) and fully understand how difficult it is. You're right, running is your salvation, it's amazing what wounds it can magically heal!! My prayers are with you guys!!!

HappyTrails said...

Ginny, my heart goes out to you and your husband.
I am so sorry you guys are being impacted so sharply by the spill - what a blow. Jill is right-when things you've known as secure are falling apart, the ability to get out and run can work as therapy. I will be praying for you to not lose heart and that your hubby will find a good job opportunity.
K

Jennifer said...

Ginny, we are all here for you! Whenever you need to (slow) run off those maddening moments call me! I think about you and Chad all the time and am hoping that positive energy will be with you, especially as you go through some tough decisions soon.

Karen said...

So sorry to hear it... Stay encouraged. As you said, when one door closes another will open. Praying for you guys.

Erin Conley said...

Ginny, I am so sorry to hear what you and your family are going through. I know all too well what it's like! My husband lost his job last February, and until he found a new one (making half of what he used to), things were (and still are) extremely difficult. Running is my way of dealing with it all. It just seems to help put everything in perspective. I truly hope that an opportunity arises soon for your husband. Hang in there and keep hoping!

Iron Mike said...

You have very good, refreshing perspective.

Take complete advantage of running's therapeutic benefits. Enjoy every mile.

Emz said...

It's not depressing it's REAL. Thank you for being so real about things. It's refreshing.

Keep up the runs - - they help.

Praying for you and yours.

Julie said...

I am so sorry for your challenging time. I am hoping that your husband will find what he is looking for soon.

You have such a good attitude:) Keep running and stay positive:) Hang in there Ginny!

Kym Klass said...

Ginny, you and your family will be in my prayers for strength, calm and eventual peace.
Kym

Unknown said...

Keep up the faith, Ginny. We are all praying for you!

LMC said...

I'm so sorry that you and your husband are going through this! I hope the other door opens soon and that everything works out. Keep running because it definitely helps and provides perspective. Hang in there!!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I'm sorry about how this has hurt your husband's job & I know what you mean about running making you feel better. It does that for me, too.

MCM Mama said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the job situation. The whole situation down there just sucks right now. Glad the running is helping you to stay sane. Fingers crossed that things work out for you guys quickly.

Petraruns said...

Oh Ginny this sounds like a really big tough old challenge - and I am so sorry to hear you're facing all this. Running WILL help to give you direction during this time I am sure - it will become clear what you should do.

Bethany + Ryan said...

oh dear! so sorry to hear about your husbands job! how scarey too! it must be so upsetting to see all the destruction in the gulf right now. so sad. please keep us all posted, good luck to your family!

Running and living said...

Sorry about this. You and your family will get through, and running will help!

Lindsay said...

This really sucks! Not only for all those who have had a significant change in their way of life or of course those who perished, but then on top of it all -- they can't fix the problem! So disappointing.

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I know you and your family will persevere!

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Chad. I know that you guys are facing a lot of uncertainty along with all the businesses affected in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama that depended on the Gulf to make their living.

I'm so glad that your running is keeping you somewhat sane at the moment.

Pining for Pinterest said...

I am so sorry to hear about that!!! I hope to hear some good news soon :)

RunToTheFinish said...

you and everyone there are very much in my daily thoughts. I hope and pray that there truly is something good to come from this tragedy