Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Top of Utah and On Top of the World

Oh What a Weekend!
This pic perfectly illustrates a MAGICAL weekend.

Chad and I arrived in Logan Thurs. evening.  I was thrilled to be greeted with dry air at the Salt Lake City airport.  We made a quick stop at the Red Iguana, and then headed to Logan.
Yummy Shrimp Fajitas!  (BRIGHT western sun)
Beautiful Logan, UT sunset
Friday, I woke up with excitement.  I headed out to loosen the legs.  I had just enough time to get in 30 min.,  and get back to the hotel to submit my Boston registration.  (10:00 AM EST, Boston BQ minus 5 min)
Back at the hotel, entry submitted, and I received the following email:

Your Boston Marathon entry has been received!

now to wait for entry confirmation 

Later that evening I received the next email which said:
Dear Ginny,

This is to notify you that your entry into the 117th Boston Marathon on Monday, April 15, 2013 has been accepted, provided that the information you submitted is accurate.

I quickly notified Soccer Locker and City Runners that I been confirmed.  They immediately began the process of booking a hotel room, and flights for Boston 2013.   I'm so honored and thankful for this opportunity.  So, I will indeed be in Boston April 2013 for my 2nd attempt to conquer this course.   

much hill running ahead, but first TOU 26.2

HappY FridaY Y'all!

 

Next on the agenda was to ride the Top of Utah course.  Cache National Forest

Friday afternoon my friends, Terri (& training partner), and Kristie made the trip from Pocatella, ID (visiting family) to Logan, and we toured the marathon course again.  Terri was meeting me at mile 14, and Kristie was helping with logistics (such sweet friends).   The course is mostly a gradual downhill course until mile 14.  At mile 14, the course is flat for a while and then you have some small uphill sections.  The ups are not steep, but the timing of the gradual ups definitely get your attention at mile 18-19.5 and then again around 22-23ish.   In the car, the excitement was building.  Although, I knew the ups, at the end would not be fun, I was happy that they were not steep.  I was anxious to race.   

Summer training, yasso 800s, tempo runs, yoga, 6 wk boot camp, speed work, mental training, fast finish runs, finishing long runs on hills, etc. - all playing through my head, reassuring me that 

I AM READY to RACE!  

These are the thoughts I would use before and during the race.  Many of these are from the book Running Within by Jerry Lynch and Warren Scott.  (I highly recommend it).

* calm & confident, I race well  *expect success, I'm running my best  *I simply perform like the well trained runner that I am  *  run smart - glide & float  *  soft is strong  *  what you can conceive, you can achieve (my thought 3:40 - I can conceive that, I can achieve that!)

my goal was 3:43:59 - BQ at my younger age (my current BQ time is 3:55)

* I represent mental toughness  * my drive is unmatchable  * I am positivity  * stay positive

These are from supportive friends:

* Every step is another battle won  *  "none of this is gonna kill ya, so what do you really have to worry about?  * Finish Strong!  * "I can do all things through HIM who gives me STRENGTH." 

 * All of the hard work is done now just relax and get ready to collect the rewards.' 

* "I am beginning to feel peaceful and calm"  *  "throw back your shoulders, let the heart sing, let the eyes flash, let the mind be lifted up, look upward and say to yourself....Nothing is impossible! ~Norman Vincent Peale  

* The Time is Now!  *  Yeah!  Don't worry!  Be happy!  *  I think I can, I think I can, I know I can, I know I can!

"For Gold hath not given us the spirit of fear;  but of POWER, and of LOVE, and of a sound MIND-" 2 Timothy 1:7

Trust your training Ginny!  Your are ready!  *You are tougher than the rest of them!  This is what you came here to do!"  *"You know how to prepare like no other.  Trust your training and enjoy the wonderful scenery."  *

"Run like the champ you are !!!"


Friday evening I'm in the hotel by 7:15ish, lights out at 9:00 pm ish with the alarm set for 3:45.

I'm READY!

......to be continued

 


 

 

5 comments:

Lisa said...

My interest is definitely piqued! Can't wait to read more :)

And congrats on your entry to Boston!!

Gracie said...

Hurray for Boston and...this race report sounds like it's going to be good!

Ana-Maria RunTriLive said...

Yay for Boston! See you there (from the sidelines as I will not be running:)

mfranks said...

Yay for Boston! Looking forward to the recap.

Lindsay said...

hooray for boston!

while i know it's beneficial to know the course, i've never been good at driving it in advance or even reviewing the maps/elevation online. i feel like i might psych myself out certain parts if i knew!