Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Cloud 9 to My Head is about to Explode!

Sunday night I started sneezing and felt like I was getting sick, but I was hoping it was just one my my "allergy things." No luck this time. Today, I feel AWFUL! Trust me, I am not complaining. It is actually great timing. I am in the second week of my 2 week running hiatus, post marathon, so if I must be sick, I would say, "perfect timing."

Monday after the marathon my sister and I went to Zion NP to the Angels Landing Hike. From the pictures we previewed prior to getting to Utah, I thought it was doubtful that I would make it all the way to the top, but we were determined to give it a good try. The hike is 2.5 miles. At 2 miles you get to Scout's Landing. This is where you make your decision to "climb to the summit" or chicken out. We decided to take a snack break and watch some of the people heading up.
A friend had warned me that it was very intimidating to look at and she assured me that it really wasn't that bad after you started up. So without much hesitation, (ok, I lie) anyway, I was determined to at least give it a good try.
So we start heading up after passing by this handy warning.

This is the view, and my turn around point.

I'm outta here!
Even though we did not make it to the summit, the view from Scout's Landing is well worth the hike.

I am always so thankful for my health, but this week is just another reminder of how blessed I am to be healthy and able to go out for a run most days. So looking forward to Monday.
That's my first day back to running.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

It's nice to be able to "allow" yourself to get sick! I hope you're feeling better. Gorgeous pictures.
I've had fun getting back to running, ahhhh.

Jennifer said...

Feel better Ginny! Look forward to seeing you 'out on the run'! cheers!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

When we went to Zion and Bryce a few years ago, my family and I climbed Angels Landing. If you can run a marathon (and esp. if you can BQ!) you can do it! Next time!!!

Good timing on the sickness!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Oh what a difference a day makes! Today, feeling MUCH, MUCH better. Can't believe it! I guess all that exercise and eating relatively healthy does pay off. Still a little stuffy, but feel good.

Tina - I don't think so. I was about to get sick. I don't think heights, cliffs, and edges are for me. Love to hike, just not on the edge.

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

After I left that comment, I wondered if you had been sick already. Wish I'd been more thoughtful! Glad you felt better so soon!

Running and living said...

Congrats on qualifying. In terms of Boston info, I wrote a lot about my training and the course in my blog (check Jan 2009-April 2009). I think doing downhill running is going to help a lot. The actual hills are not bad, really, but the downhills at the beginning are quad killers, so that when you get to the hills they seem giagantic and impossible. Downhill training can strenghten the quads so that come race day they won't get such beating. The crowds are amazing, and the marathon is a huge party. In terms of a hotel, your probably want to stay close to the start, in Hopkinton, so that you don't have to take a bus at 5am or so, and sit in the tent for hours. I'll start my training in January, and will surely post more about course, etc. Congrats again! Ana-Maria