So I have run my mileage for today (5 miles easy), I have visited, and had a big lunch with dessert. Now time for a lazy afternoon.
Now my focus is on Sat. I will be running the Stennis Half Marathon. I have run this race several times, (full & half). It's more or less become a thanksgiving weekend tradition. I like to race 2 days after the Thanksgiving feast. Makes me feel like I am "working it off." Last year it was hot and HUMID for this race. I have said all summer, I would not run this one, this year if it was under the same conditions as last year. Ahhhh, I'm in luck. It's going to be chilly. Just the way I like to run a race. Very Exciting!
Now comes my problem with "dual training." On Sat. I will be 2 weeks away from the Rocket City Marathon in Huntsville, AL. So if I race really hard, it can definitely impact my marathon. But here's the thing... I AM GOING TO RACE IT! Why would I do this you say? We'll... many reasons:
1. I'm kind of addicted to racing.
2. If I decided NOT to race the half this Sat, then 2 weeks from now, the weather may be hot and humid (I do not run well under those conditions). Then I would be upset that I had good weather conditions for the half and didn't go for the PR.
3. Anything can happen in the next 2 weeks. Race while you can, I say.
4. I just PR'ed in the full marathon, and I am not ready to go under 3:49, so the half marathon pr is more doable and realistic, at this time.
Back to the problem with dual training:
training for the marathon - I ran 18 miles this past Sunday
training for the marathon - I have kept my mileage up this week.
If I was focused solely on the half marathon this Sat., I would not have run an 18 miler on the Sunday before a Sat. race. Also, I would have tapered my mileage to really prep for the half marathon.
But..... did I mention the weather.... it's going to be great, so Ginny is going for it! I go into it knowing all of these things:
* I did not taper and I have an 18 miler on my legs (but really - Sunday ends my week - so really the 18 miler was last week - working on my mental state here.)
* If I race Stennis really hard, I may mess up my full marathon. (but really - this will just be a good tempo run, right? - still working it mentally)
*If I did not "race" it, I would be sad and questioning why I let the possibility of a PR pass me by.
Yes, I'm a PR junkie. I crave it and soon I will be old.
So again I say..... a flat, fast, a cool half marathon ....I'm Going For It! "Why put off until later, what you may be able to do on Sat."
(a tiny little part of me will be smart about this race. As I get into the race, if I see the PR is not going to happen, I will go to plan B, which will be to slow it down a little, and do some true marathon training.)
The possibilities are very exciting!
Oh, what's my half PR? 1:49:58 - 8:23 pace - Pensacola Half 2-15-09
I think I have 8:19 pace in me!
I am appreciating Amanda's Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge. It has me focusing on my fruits and veggies and making sure I get at least 7 per day. This is a good thing, especially this time of year.