Sunday, November 22, 2009

Runner's checklist - has it really come to this?

OK, so I am 41, but really, that is not really old is it?  40 is the new 30 right?  What I am confused about is my lack of memory.  Today, I head out for my 18 mile run and somewhere between miles 3 and 4 it just pops into my head (not from pain, luckily) "I forgot the BodyGlide!"  What?  You have to be kidding me?  How can you forget the BodyGlide?  That is like forgetting your Garmin, your Ipod, your Gu's, it just should not happen.  So apparently, I need a Long Run Checklist.  Look over it, I probably forgot something.

Long Run Checklist:  
apply sunblock
apply Body Glide

shoes, shorts, bra & top -  worthy of a long run
my favorite socks - (DryMax for me)

visor and sunglasses
Ipod or Head Phones

for me - Nathan 5k pak  which holds Gu (chocolate for me), Chap stick, gum, sometimes Chomps, a plastic baggy with money (just in case), emergency contact info - name, phone number of hubby, phone of Mom & Sister, allergies(penicillin) - so many texting you never know when you will be run over, and sometimes some tissue -  you never know what will happen. 

cell phone, and spare battery if I'm using my headphones (please don't laugh - I like the radio)

Garmin w/ heart rate monitor but mine died - Bummer!
Go drop waters - for shorter runs a CamelBak fuel belt.

I think that's it!  Dang, if I unloaded some of this stuff I could run a lot faster.
I ended up lucky today, no real damage for my lack of memory in applying the most important Body Glide.

This week I ended with 45 miles of running, 7 miles walking, a yoga class, and home yoga -10-15 min. most days of the week, some core work and push-ups.
Quality runs this week - hill repeats in the rain, 7 miles with 5 miles @ tempo 8:06 average, and today an 18 mile progression run @ 9:03 average.
The progression run went like this: 
2 miles w/u @ 9:24 avg.
8 miles @ 9:10 avg.
7 miles @ 8:43 avg. (as I started this portion of the run my thought was "dang, 8:45 if fast.")
1 mile c/d @ 9:48
When I made it back from my run, hubby had ice ready for my ice bath, my sweatshirt and warm hat ready, and prepared my hot tea.  How sweet!

Blog time is up - off to Walley World!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

That is a long list of goodies Ginny but I know these things are all so important! Nice progression run and how sweet of your husband to have all of the necessities ready for you! Happy Thanksgiving and have fun at Walley World. What is Walley World?

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Walley World is the beloved Wal-Mart!

Anonymous said...

great week of training!!!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

First. OMGosh! I walk out the door with my watch on my wrist and that is it. I def think you would run faster without all that stuff. Wow! I must be weird...or unprepared.
Second. When did you breathe? That is one long list of workouts. Wow. I am impressed.
Lastly, what a great hubby! He is a keeper!!

Jennifer said...

Ha, I was at Wally World just today... what a mess at this time of year! Nice repeats, I have to do more of those! Cheers! Have a great Thanksgiving if I don't see you!

Tara said...

Yes, I totally agree with you. 40 is the new 30!!! I feel better and much healthier in my 30's then I ever did in my 20's and it only gets better...right? :)

That's a long list of things girl! I have to agree, body glide is the one thing you don't want to leave behind on an 18 mile training run!

Ulyana said...

Haha, I'm 26! And I forgot body glide for my 16 miler this past weekend... I have the worst chafing under both of my arms and between my legs.... Where's my memory??? It's so not fun when you pay for forgetting things.

Ulyana said...

Oh, man, I'm actually 25. I forgot how old I am.

hahahaha

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

From what I can remember ; ), the worst thing I ran off and forgot to do has been to put the right shoes on. I noticed right away and ran back home to change.

Melissa said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 25 and forgot a Gu on my last long training run before my half. After though, I thought, "Wow, if I can do that without a gu, imagine what I can do when I have one!" I hope that you did okay without the BodyGlide!

Terri said...

Ginny, I think a check list is a great idea. Being 40 something, ack, I'm near senile in the forgetful department=)
I'm in awe of your mileage by the way. I have been trying to increase my weekly mileage and it seems to take so long to build up.
What a considerate and sweet hubby to do that for you!
Funny I call it Wally World too.

Tony said...

very busy week of workouts great job.

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

You guys are making me feel much better, especially Ulyana - too funny! LOL

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jill said...

Forgetting things like that on a long run can be brutal. I've forgotten so many things it's crazy. Last week I forgot Advil :(.

RunToTheFinish said...

i usually start to hyperventaliate (totally spelled wrong) if I realize that the BG has been forgotten

Unknown said...

Thanks for the mileage advice but girl, you just love running so much I think you'd do it even if there wasn't a marathon in existence. I remember that you did one just for training so....you need an ultra under your belt now!!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jill said...

We Do have a lot in common; I've run Rocket City (I used to live in Madison, AL), it's a very fun race. Good luck to you...can't wait to read about how it goes!!!

Darrell said...

So true about all the stuff you may (or may not) need on the long run. A list is always helpful, I find. Sometimes on the shorter runs, it is nice to just keep it simple and walk out the door unfettered. Live a little dangerously, lol!