Saturday, November 28, 2009

Today I ran a half "matathon" (not a typo, quote from medal, see pic)

So today was the big day, going for the half marathon PR.  I have so much to blog about, but will do it soon, just wanted to give a little update.  I DID IT!  ...with some help, that i will explain later, keeping you guys in suspense, I know you are just dying for the details.  1:48:15 (8:16 pace) on the Garmin, results not posted yet.  13.10 on the Garmin.  Great course, and I was concentrating hard on running the tangents, for sure.  (previous best 1:49:58.  I like to say "almost 2 min. pr."  It just sounds better than 1:43 pr)

Meg - it was very interesting today.  I spoke with someone that I met last year at this race.  Last year we ran around the same time for the half, I actually finished 2 min. ahead of her at this race, but at a race in Dec. 08 she got me at the very end of the race, but again, we were running around the same times.  Today she ran around 1:41, I think that's what she said.  I congratulated her for moving to another level in her running.  She said "you know, when I stopped trying so hard, I started running faster.  It's been really weird, but most of the time, I don't even look at my watch anymore, unless it's just a look and then to say, hey I'm running pretty good today."  Ok, I am VERY impressed with her, and the new training philosophy, but for me, for now, that's not gonna happen.   I immediately thought of you and thought how interesting it is that 2 people have confirmed these techniques work, but I am unwilling or unable to let go and give it a try.  For racing = Slave to the Garmin!  Live and Die by the Garmin!  "My name is Ginny and I am a Garmin addict!  I need therapy, I know.

From what I am told, the half marathoners were not supposed to get medals, but as it happened, the printing company made a boo boo.   So the "halfers" received these funny collector's medals.

Love it!  But we really ran the HALF matathon. 

More soon!

10 comments:

Marathonman101108 said...

WOW, I so want to run a half/full matathon! Maybe that's the key to a PR. I LOVE the medal...LMAO. Obviously it was made by a non-runner or a High School dropout, or both! Congrats on the PR. I too am a Garmin addict. I thrive on her beep every mile, and live and die by her split times that she displays...OK, I'm even creeping myself out!

Running Diva Mom said...

too funny -- congrats to you on a great race!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Congratulations on your race! That is awesome!

Unknown said...

Yeah for the PR Ginny and that was so interesting that you ran into someone who has improved minus the Garmin! Very interesting!! How funny that medal is, totally hilarious. What a keepsake!
Keep running fast girl and having fun!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Great job on your PR. Love the metal! So funny!! I'm a non-Garmin runner too. It just too much pressure having Garmin yelling at me all the time.

Erin Conley said...

Congrats on the PR! Keep up the good work!

Darrell said...

Way to go! The medal is a fun memento, for sure.

Jill said...

That medal is just too funny!!

Congrats on a PR - that is way exciting, girl!!!

I'm one that commented to Meg that I cannot run a marathon with a Garmin because I know the race will then become me against the watch; never a good place for my mind in 26 miles, but I do wear it for shorter races. Sans the race where it was dead and I had ZERO watch...but that's another story. ha.

Again, congrats...smiling big right now!

Jennifer said...

Yea! It was so much fun to run with you! Thanks for pacing me that last mile! I can only imagine getting below 2 hrs never mind what you accomplished!

Lindsay said...

congrats on the pr!! lol about the medal :) a fun souvenir at least!