Monday, November 16, 2009

Wishy Washy - Sloppy - Can't see the road - hill repeats

But I finished it.....

First - woke up today with no pain at all from my fall yesterday and no soreness.  Very thankful!

So this afternoon I was a little very aggravated with work.  I had wanted to get my workout in around 3:00 or 4:00 but it was not to be.  My plan was to run 200s.  I figured I would warm up and see if I felt any pain in my ankle and then decide from there, but the plan was 200s, if no pain.   As I was driving home today, near my house, I drove down one of my hill repeat hills and started thinking about hill repeats.  By the time I could get out the door it was dark.  So I head out for my warm up and I am thinking, I will warm up and come back to the hill by my house.  Then I make it further down the road and decide maybe I will go on out to the 2 mile mark and do 200s on the flat road, just past 2 miles, I am thinking flat will be easier and safer in the dark.  So I get to the spot and the 5:30 traffic is bad, it's dark, not a good option.  Back to hill repeats!  Decide to head back toward the house to run the hill.  When I get to my first hill heading back, I change my mind again and decide this is a good hill.  So Wishy Washy today!  I felt like Tinalocks a few weeks ago trying to find the perfect hill.  I did not find the perfect hill, the footing was rough in spots, and it was very dark.  So I ran the hills, but it wasn't the workout I planned.  It was dark and the road was rough. I was nervous about running in the dark - scared to twist my ankle after yesterday.  I ran the hills at a much slower pace than I would normally run. I looked at the weather radar before leaving the house and I knew the rain was close, but I was determined and could not stomach the thought of 7 miles on the treadmill today.   In addition to all my complaints listed above, now it's raining too, making the road slippery and sloppy.

So I did it!  Yes, I couldn't make up my mind, it was sloppy, it was dark,I was soaking wet BUT... I got my 7 miles for the day and I ran some hills.  Physically, I am not sure how far it will get me, but mentally a BIG boost.  It wasn't what I planned or what I wanted, but I did what I could do today and I did it pain free.  Hooray for that!
Going for 45 miles this week!

9 comments:

HappyTrails said...

Hooray, indeed, for getting it done in spite of "wishy-washy", weather, and dark!!! It made me laugh, about the wishy-washy, b/c I do that too frequently. Sometimes I just want someone to tell me what to do b/c I can't decide! LOL! Hooray, too, for no pain. Whew!
K

Unknown said...

What a push, you are tough girl. It does feel good to push beyond what is comfortable though, I totally get that. Well done!!

Jill said...

Yeah for pain free! Excellent in toughing it out; tons to be said about that!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Great job getting it done. Sometimes a mental boost is what we need the most!

Tara said...

Good for you for going out and braving the weather, traffic, hills, etc "miss wishy washy"!
I had to laugh while you were explaining all of your wishy washyness, I do the same thing all of the time. Never works out the way you envision it, but good for you for going to plan b. Nice job on that hill workout; you're going to need it for Boston!! :)

Lindsay said...

i often can't make up my mind mid-run, but at least you got it done! (usually i find some sort of cop-out, sigh). better to slow down a little than potentially twist your ankle or something, and a hill workout is always good for the legs (though they may not appreciate it the next day) :) nice job girl!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Good for you on getting that workout done! I did hillwork on my treadmill yesterday - wasn't too bad, actually!

Tinalocks ; )

Jennifer said...

Hey maybe you should try some night vision goggles? Kudos for pushing through and having a positive end result!

Robbie said...

It's done!! My husband has told me that when he doesn't "want" to run and does it anyway that he never ends with, "I wish I hadn't done it." Great thing to keep in mind when you don't want to run/exercise. It's true and I've referred to this several times. Keep up the good work...but PLEASE be safe!!