Wednesday, August 12, 2009

10 Miler, Sunrise, and Horses










Seeing too many of these sunrises lately, but I am really enjoying the training (I know, I am a weirdo, can't help it, I love to train for marathons). Enjoying it, after I get going that is. The first 2 miles today, I kept thinking about how your easy weeks, really are never easy. Similar to how it really doesn't matter if you run 6 miles or 20 miles, the last 2 miles are tough. Why is that?

The plan for today was to run the first 2 easy (9:30 pace) and then run the other 8 miles at marathon race pace (under 9:00 min). During those first 2 miles, I wondered what was going to happen on my pace run, on the hills, wasn't sure if it would happen. To my surprise, I ended up having a GREAT run. Actually had to keep slowing myself down. I even ran my last 2 miles a little faster, normally the last 2 miles I fade and slow down to a crawl. I have been working on that this summer, trying not to die the last 2 miles.

The recap - 9:39, 9:23, 8:48, 8:46, 8:54, 8:52, 8:54, 8:47, 8:41, 8:22
1 pic stop for the sunrise and horsies, 3 water stops. Took one Gu gel at 6 miles. Because I ran a pace run today, I decided to do an ice bath to speed recovery. It felt sooooo good. It also helped with cooling off, and feeling better for the 10:00 am yoga class @ The Yoga Room. Legs felt good for class.

Looking forward to Jen coming out Thurs. am for a bike ride. I am sure I have mentioned, I am not much of a biker, but I do ride some for recovery on my hybrid bike. She is coming with her road bike. This is our first ride together. I hope either I can keep up, or I will not bore her to tears with my lack of speed on the bike. Ha Ha

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like your run went very well. You aren't a "weirdo," I think we all love to train or we wouldn't be doing it! Your pace looked great and you felt great, even better. Have fun with Jen, did you two know each other bf(before blogging)?
meg

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

You wrote that you've worked on not fading in the later miles - it looks like it's working! That's great!

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

Meg - I wrote about loving the training because many of my running buddies complain about the training often. I actually look forward to my hard days, most of my buddies hate them.

I met Jen about a year ago, through the local running club (pre blog). Boy does she have a story, she has come a long way in a short amount of time, and as of today, Thurs. whipped my butt on the bike. It was a great ride though. Nice to visit with her. I just hope it wasn't a waste of time for her.

Tina - if I can just get the training to translate to a fast marathon, life will be better than good.

Unknown said...

Hi Ginny,
Regarding the Saucony trail running shoes: they have a lot of support and the sole is very good for walking/running on rocks and gravel and they protect you against slipping and sliding. They are even lighter than my regular running shoes so I would definitely recommend them for hiking and later maybe running if you want to try that. I bought them online.
Meg