Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Awesome 800's / Peaking Perfect Maybe????

On cloud nine tonight!   Went to the track tonight to run Yasso's 800s.  1 mile w/u, 10 X 800, 1 mile c/d with a 400 recovery between each 800.   Went to the track at 5:15 tonight.  It was sprinkling, but that made it perfect.  Without the sprinkles it would have just been the regular, you know it, hot and humid, but with the light rain it helped to keep me cool.  We had a few brave souls that showed up for their workouts.  Susan, Dawn, Vicki, and I started warming up.  Vicki and I both needed to run 800s, Dawn was running 3 X 1600, and Susan was doing "her own thing" (not sure).  It worked out great for me.  Vicki needed to do 5 X 800 when she finished her 5, Jim and Kily showed up just in time to help me finish the last 4, perfect timing.  It really helped to have them with me on those later repeats.  It would have been lonely on the track if they hadn't been there for me.  Thanks guys!  And thanks to everyone else for showing up in the rain. Oh, I almost forgot, the data.  I averaged 3:50 for the repeats - 3:48, 3:53, 3:52, 3:48, 3:48, 3:50, 3:50, 3:52, 3:50, 3:46.  This will be my third attempt at Yasso's 800s.  So far they haven't really worked as designed for me, not even close, but I like the challenge of the workout.  In Jan. I averaged 3:45, for the 10 X 800,  and then ran Houston in 3:59.  Maybe "the 3rd time is the charm."

Let me just say, I FELT AWESOME.  I felt strong.  Some of the runners were talking about how they felt bad - legs hurting, breathing issues, etc.  I didn't say anything because I wanted to say "I feel AWESOME."  but they may have slapped me, and it was early in the run so I decided I better keep my mouth shut.  As it turned out, I felt GREAT the whole workout.  My last few "hard effort" runs keep getting better and better.  It feels like I may actually be peaking at the perfect time (keeping my fingers crossed about that).

Still deciding about the 5k, but if I had to guess, I would say it's probably a yes.   Even without the cool front (the cool front is supposed to come on Monday - 2 days to late).  Today, I just want to run it.  If I feel the same, later in the week, I will go for it.

5 comments:

Tara said...

I love running in the rain, in fact, I prefer it. I love the coolness on my skin.
Great times! I have heard of the Yasso 800's and heard that they really work. I must try them....

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love to practice yoga, but unfortunetely I do not do it near enough. That is probably my problem. Maybe I'll give it another go!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Sounds like a great workout! Glad you had friends to help out!

Unknown said...

I'm so happy you felt so strong! I know how hard it is to stay quiet when you just want to be joyful and HAPPY about how well your running is going...but you would have been slapped(or at least kicked)! Good move! Stay strong and happy!

Felice Devine said...

First, I so love the name of your blog! And, I wish I had some happy feet :-)

Second, wow! GREAT job on those 800s. It is so hard to do 10 of them -- and then to run them all at such a great pace. Way to go!!

Unknown said...

Hi Ginny...you asked me about getting lost(speaking of Gina)and guess what? The course has little pink ribbons tied to bushes, every 10 ft. so I couldn't get lost...well, I was really worried about it but it didn't happen!

Hope all is well with you! I'm excited for your race this weekend!